I was putting these straight onto my website, but it takes a lot of time and I dread it every month. That’s NOT how I want to be feeling about this project! I really enjoyed making my monthly updates to my 30 before 30 project here on WordPress so I’m back to give it a go!
You can find the first three updates (and all future ones too, of course!) gathered here: https://www.rachelakelso.com/35before35-updates
- 26/105 new recipes
I got a good deal on some Hello Fresh and thought it would be fun to try through December. And it was. A little too fun! We’re not Vegan, but normally I cook completely plant-based at home so it was a lot more dairy than I was used to! It was also really my first experience cooking with dairy, since I have been cooking mostly plant-based since I was 19. It was so much fun that we decided to do it one week a month until we stop being interested in the recipes/they get too repetitive.
12. Curry-Spiced Cauliflower and Squash over Zezty Ginger Rice with Lemon Crema (Hello Fresh) Mine was not as pretty as the picture! It was tasty, though, and very veganizable. I actually like Vegan sour cream more than the real thing!
13. Harissa Sweet Potato Pita Pockets with Cucumber Dill Salad (Hello Fresh) Oh I loved this. The sweet potatoes were delicious and I loved dilly cucumbers.
14. Pasta Parmesan (Hello Fresh)
Got to use the broiler in my new oven for the first time and it was so much better than my old one.
15. Sweet Potato Fajitas (Hello Fresh)
I think my favorite Hello Fresh recipes have been the Mexican ones.
16. Chickpea-Powered Mediterranean Couscous with Zucchini and Grape Tomatoes (Hello Fresh)
This was a lot like stuff I make all the time, but I really liked the roasted grape tomatoes!
17. Creamiest Mushroom Ravioli with Zucchini and Heirloom Grape Tomatoes (Hello Fresh)
Usually not a fan of creamy sauces, but it was really good.
18. Chickpea Tinga Tacos with Monterey Jack Cheese, Poblano Pepper, and Lime Crema (Hello Fresh)
So good, ugh, so good.
19. Za’atar Crusted Grilling Cheese with Sumac Roasted Veggies over Couscous (Hello Fresh)
Ah, I burned this a little! But there was enough cheese and Za’atar to have it again the next day and it was good! I also bought Za’atar shortly thereafter to try and make some kind of tofu with it, but I haven’t gotten around to it yet!
20. Vegan Sweet Potato Pie (Healthier Steps)
Oh my gosh! Best pie I have ever made.
21. The pie crust! That was from The Superfun Times Vegan Holiday Cookbook.
22. Vegetable Minestrone Soup with Parmesan Garlic Bread (Hello Fresh)
Really tasty and the bread was the best.
23. Chickpea Fesenjan (The Minimalist Baker’s Everyday Cooking)
This was tasty. I’m a bit hmmm about sweet savories sometimes and I need to think about the amount of cinnamon in it, I think, but I really liked the pomegranate molasses.
24. Creamy Dreamy Mushroom Gemelli with scallions and Parmesan (Hello Fresh)
So NOT a fan of any white sauce pasta I have ever had UNTIL I made these Hello Fresh ones. It’s actually kind of irritating. It was tasty as heck.
25. Salsa Verde Enchiladas with Poblano Pepper, Black Beans and Monterey Jack Cheese (Hello Fresh)
Ah dang, Too tasty. Want them again right now.
26. Grilled Cheese with Veggie Jumble with Cilantro Chimichurri (Hello Fresh)
The veggie jumble was SO MY THING. It had avocado it it! Definitely want to try the recipe with tofu instead of cheese.
2. Bullet Journal 2019
I worked on my 2019 layouts in December and ended up doing all of my weekly layouts for January at once earlier this month when I didn’t feel up to doing much else. I’m already enjoying it a lot more than I did the premade planner I used in 2018. I think it will help me keep on top of these updates here, too!
3. A Weekly Effort
The past couple of months have been kind of hard, honestly. Not feeling myself much. I’ve been sick a few times and have stayed home a lot! I got fancied up for a Christmas Party and a funeral and that’s about it.
4. Saturday Night Movies
We got a projector in the bedroom a couple of weeks ago, so movie night feels extra special now!
9. The Santa Clause
10. The Santa Clause 2
11. The Land That Time Forgot (MST3k)
12. Big Hero 6
13. Into The Woods
14. The Mummy
5. Finish 5 TV Shows
I actually haven’t been thinking about tracking this one. I’m not sure if I’ve made much progress, but I have been watching The Vampire Diaries and The Originals lately, two series I never actually finished when they were first airing.
7. Keep My Patreon Up to Date!
I took a few weeks off for the holidays, but I have half of my December content up and another week or so to get the rest done before I would count it as late, so that’s something. I also FINISHED my 52 weeks project and got it uploaded right away! I need to update the Patron-Only website somewhat desperately, though!
10. Take Breaks
You GUYS, I let myself have the first couple of weeks of the year completely off from my internalized pressure to create and share (I still did a little, but I never forced myself) and I feel relaxed a bit but also confused. I love having challenges and deadlines, I don’t know what to do without them, but that’s kind of the point of forcing myself to take some breaks, I suppose.
13. Play more Video Games
This one went well with take breaks! I beat Dragon Age: Inquisition again! So many feelings, I can’t handle it. And I’ve been playing a little solo Super Mario Odyssey. I’m very very very excited to get into Kingdom Hearts III when it comes out. It’s the first time we have gotten a KH game at launch.
17. Monthly Date Night
We went to India Palace for dinner & walked around Utica Square looking at Christmas shops and lights.
18. Work on the House/Yard
Because I was ~taking a break~ I didn’t get any before shots, but I have rearranged the bedroom and cleaned the kitchen this past month. I emptied out cabinets! laid new contact paper! got rid of all of the stray tupperware lids!
20. Yoga Goals
I’ve been doing the new Yoga with Adriene 30 day challenge Dedicate. I’m feeling super good about it, I haven’t missed a day!
22. No strict daily photo projects for 1 year
I massaged this a little to allow for my 100happydays but I’m all into this one for really real the next 8 months and it was hard for me to stop myself from starting a project on January 1. I think I’ll be glad I took the break, though. I’m feeling very thoughtful about it.
25. Read 10 fiction books
3. The Scarlet Lion (William Marshal, #3) by Elizabeth Chadwick
26. 100 happy days
I did a full 100 phone photos of things that made me happy through January 1. It was nice and relaxing to just take some phone photos for a bit, but I feel really out of practice with my dSLR now! You can find all the photos and captions @the.happy.snaps.