One month ago I turned 29 and started working on my 30 before 30 list. Here’s what I have made progress on so far!
1. Cook 30 new recipes. 9/30
I made 9 new recipes this month!
- Chocolate Rum Pudding Cake (Vegan with a Vengeance)
- Okra Gumbo (Isa Does It)
- Steamy Beany Sausages (Isa Does It)
- Kale and Potato Enchiladas with Roasted Chile Sauce (Veganomicon)
- Pizza Sauce (Vegan with a Vengeance)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup (Vegan with a Vengeance)
- Green Thai Curry (Vegan with a Vengeance)
- Brussel Sprouts and Potatoes Hash (Appetite for Reduction)
- Curried Cabbage and Peas (Appetite for Reduction)
2. Shoot 1 roll of film per month. 1/12
I shot roll #1 in my split cam. I’ll try to get the film developed within the next week!
3. Hardcore cull my wardrobe.
My process is to go through my closet and try to build outfits with the items I rarely wear, if I can figure something out I wear the outfit for the day to see how comfortable I feel in it. If I can’t find anything to wear it with I probably don’t need to keep it. If it isn’t comfortable I don’t want to be wearing it. So far so good, I have filled 3 shopping bags so far with stuff to donate. I just pulled a hamper out of the closet; it’s full of clothes I never sorted when we moved into this house almost 8 years ago. Lots of sentimental value clothing in there, but also plenty of stuff, like-new pale pink longjohns that never fit properly, for example, that I will be able to donate with ease.
4. Save money for a new dSLR.
I have an excel spreadsheet I track my finances on, I added a column for savings and so far it has about $35 in it, most of which is birthday amazon gift card. I’m going to try to add something every month, but probably won’t be able to save any more until after the holidays, when I expect to be able to save a lot more.
5. Finish afghan.
I finished weaving in loose ends on my completed granny squares on September 12th. In the past 2 weeks I have worked on stitching them together. It’s bigger than a twin sized blanket at this point and I probably have 3 or 4 rows left to attach.
10. Fill my first Smash journal.
So far I have filled 25 pages. I have a plastic tub full of things I would particularly like to scrapbook and the process has felt more inspiring and free than any other attempt at scrapbooking in the past.
20. Get everything boxed or bagged to donate.
This kind of goes along with my wardrobe cull, but I also have about 6 boxes of other items ready to donate. I feel like I still have a lot of work to do on this, but just getting the boxes and bags I have filled now out of the house would be a relief.
21. Start a 365 photo set on my 29th birthday. Finish it!
Just one month in and I am so happy with my progress. I have been doing the 365 self since January, of course, so this project is based around other things (though an occasional self portrait will slip through, especially in 2015.) Here’s the set so far.
22. Finish watching 5 of the TV series we’re currently working through on Netflix. 2/5
With the news that Battlestar Galactica may be removed from Netflix streaming on Oct 1, we have been watching it almost exclusively on weeknights, taking occasional lighthearted breaks for episodes of Bob’s Burgers because, whoa, BSG is heavy! We finished it last Sunday (September 21st) and finished watching the Neil deGrasse Tyson Cosmos the same night.
26. Write in a journal once a week. 4/52
It’s pretty much a given that I will make progress on this every month, so I probably won’t include it in all of my updates about the project. That said, I picked out a journal and a red pen and have filled a page or 3 every week this month.
27. Design and Print a 2015 calendar of my photos.
I’m playing around with some stuff on snapfish right now but I’m not completely sure about my photo choices. Good thing I have a few months to make a final decision!